Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Rocks My Face Off



Very rarely does one album, by one artist, capture me wholly. Yet, I listen to every song on Kelly Clarkson's Breakaway album and I can relate to every song. Now, before you roll your eyes and dismiss me as a sappy-eyed, lovesick pre-teen *wink* take a look at the little black book I keep with my other ghosts.

I'm talking all relationships with this album. Not just boys.

Breakaway speaks of a dream. But, the feeling of being to small to achieve that dream. So, the answer is to escape. Go to a different town, a different country and reinvent yourself. And, where you're not known, you don't have to deal with people's limitations set upon you. I want to do this, practically, every day of my life.

Since U Been Gone is the joyous proclamation that life is really good when that downer finally takes their final bow and ducks from center stage. And it rubs that feeling in quite nicely, I think. Take a deep breath, no more egg shells to walk on.

Behind These Hazel Eyes laments a mistake made in thinking "you are the one". Or even putting ones self in the position to be dependent on another and then realizing that that was a total mistake, but I won't let you know that. It's a blatant rebellion against most love songs that whimper and slobber all over themselves.

Because of You is a "letter" from a girl-turned-woman about how a past person (Boyfriend? Parent?) has hurt her so deeply, she can no longer live her life with a free roaming spirit. She is cautious- timid, almost- and most definitely afraid. I've been there.

Gone: I've once heard of insanity as dong the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Now *this* could be about a boy. Or of a friend who constantly takes and takes but doesn't give. Expecting an unconditional, un-mutual friendship. At any rate, to continue with said relationship doesn't effect anything. I do relate to this one when it comes to the relationship I have with my dad. He is loving, dedicated to me, and totally stuck in his ways. Regardless of whether or not I want his ways. Thus, time and again, I've had to just leave. Get away from his influence and realize that my world doesn't revolve around him.

I absolutely adore singing along to Addicted. It's the very description of the highs of a first love... that goes sour. I've never been addicted to drugs, but I know {to an imaginary extent} how it would feel- if it's anything remotely kin to this song or the feeling I get when I think of past hits-from-humanity that I would seek out.

If ever a song could explain my emotions, my life, my heart right now, it would be Where Is Your Heart? Maybe I'm a little high maintenance and perhaps I expect too much. But, really, is it too much to ask for a man to has dedicated his life and his heart to me to show that he gave it freely? Everyone wants to feel loved. And every woman dreams of the man that will prove his love (Edward Cullen, anyone???)- so why can't a man realize that?! Okay, enough about that.

Walk Away might, just might be the "pee or get off the pot" sequel to Where Is Your Heart? I don't pay much attention to the rest of the song (maybe because I'm rocking out too hard) but when it comes to the bridge, I love to shout it out, giving my hair brush and reflection in the mirror one crazy show:

♫I want a man by my side
Not a boy who runs and hides
Are you gonna fight for me?
Die for me?
Live and breathe for me?
Do you care for me?
Cause if you don't then just leave!♫



You Found Me strikes me as a song that can be a big melodic sigh of relief. Finally, after searching for fulfillment, it comes in the form of... God. I believe that He is the only one that can fill the void of which these songs refer to.



I Hate Myself For Losing You is many a woman (or man's?) taboo song. You're not supposed to think of the "one that got away". But, it happens. I'm just being real here, it's life. The key is to not leave the one you're committed to for the memories of the past. It's not fair to anyone. But, at least you have a song to relate to?



Remember when you were 18 and it seemed like no one was ever gonna find you extra special or steal your breath away (or more importantly, you steal their breath away)? Hear Me is the song in every virgin's heart. Not reserved for virgins, mind you. But, their voice is the loudest. I was in that choir for a loooong time.



And, saving the bestest for lastest is Beautiful Disaster. I'd love to dedicate this to a certain past person. But, for the sake of my face and my pride, I won't. Just know that every word in this song reminds me of a time when I thought this is for sure and then it wasn't. Vague? Maybe, but it doesn't have to be written on the wall. Cause I know you'd like to dedicate it to a person like that, too.



*wink*
~Sazaran

2 comments:

Linda said...

I've only heard a few of these songs, but after reading your blog, I plan to either download all of them or buy the CD. My soul loves caring music and every word of every 'good' song touches me deep and helps me wake up, breathe and live each day, joyously.

Thanks for breaking it down Sazaran!

courtney utley said...

Love this summary. :) I agree completely! Almost everyone can relate to this album in some way!

Search the Daily Offensive!