Wednesday, December 16, 2009

**Keeping Christ in Christmas

We've had several ghost blogs come in through these last two or three weeks-to be fair to all of our ghost bloggers, we are going to post them occasionally, not all at once-to make sure they get equal attention. Let our Ghost Blogger know what you think!

Keeping Christ in Christmas

Let me start by saying this topic about by me needing to clarify my thoughts as we struggle with this holiday season knowing that I am not the only one struggling this Christmas. Our country has had a difficult year with a faltering economy. Only now do you we see that we, as a whole, have lost sight of the little things that are really the most important.

Christmas is right around the corner. I can hear it coming saying “ready or not, here I come”. I find myself wishing I could ignore it all together, knowing that in fact I cannot ignore it. You need to know that I have two beautiful children waiting on Santa. My daughter has asked every morning, “Is Santa coming today, mama?” everyday for months. I keep telling her, “Not yet, you have to wait a little longer.” While I have this huge sinking feeling. I wonder to myself where has all the splendor gone? Christmas has always been something I have looked forward to. I even decorated a Christmas tree for my daughter when I was still very much pregnant, knowing she wouldn’t even see it, let alone enjoy it. Now, five years later I have the tree up, the house is decorated, but there is absolutely nothing under our tree. I look at that tree and it just breaks my heart to know that I will not have anything to put under that tree. They will have present under there soon, only because papa will be here in a week, but not from mom and dad. This is why I feel haunted by Christmas this year.

Since I am being so open with you, let me tell you that ‘haunting’ feeling makes me angry. I do not go to church every Sunday, but I was raised to believe in God. And here I am worried about material things, knowing that Christmas is not about presents at all. Christmas is supposed to be about celebrating our lives, family, friends and most important the birth of Christ, our savior. I am asking you to think about this; when did the birth of Christ turn into spending money on material things. When frankly that is not what Christmas is suppose to be about. You can’t turn on a TV with out seeing something about the hottest toys of the season. But don’t hold your breath waiting for anything about the true meaning of Christmas.

Now let me make it clear that I am not looking for pity or hand outs. I have more the most can ask for this Christmas. I have a wonderful husband two beautiful children and another on the way. We have a roof over our heads, food in the pantry, and plenty of love to go around. My husband has also been struggling with the same feelings about not providing the ‘perfect Christmas’ for me or the kids. He works hard and it is apparent to everyone who knows him. He doesn’t have just one job, but two! Not to mention being a father and a husband. So when he brought up the topic of how he had failed us the Christmas. I responded with the fact that he has given us everything we need. That is when it hit me like a ton of bricks that tree may look empty, but it is not. It is filled with a love greater then I can put into words. A love from two parents that would move heaven and earth for our children. And the greatest gift of all, our lord and savior, Jesus Christ.

So the one thing I hope you take away from this rant to revelation, is as you celebrate this Christmas give thanks for what you DO have, not what you don’t. This country has fallen on hard times; it is only know that we can clearly see that Christmas is not about how much money we may or may not spend on someone, but how much we have to be thankful for.

Hush,
The Baby sleeps
In the arms of His loving mother.
The night is still
And the beasts of the stable
Hover near
In soundless adoration.

Hush,
The world's asleep
In the dreams of this loving Infant,
And our hearts our still
In boundless adoration.

Sleep, Child, sleep
Your sleep of purity.
Sleep, world, sleep
In God's Security.

~Van Varner


Hoping to all who read this you have a wonderful Christmas!
-Al

4 comments:

Sazaran said...

AMEEEEEEN! I was thinking about something as I read this: children used to receive oranges as gifts, way back when. They were delighted to have a treat so small and so insignificant. I believe that we can all hold true to Christ as the reason for this season. And, rememeber, HE is our provider. It's too bad that we (as people, in general) have allowed the media to distort our view of Christmas. But, it isn't too late to get that back. Take time; focus on traditions; be determined even before the holiday season that the focus will be on Him and not things. Jesus works all things together for the good and I think that He just might be taking this hard-time to help clear our vision; to see Him as our source of joy and merriment.

I love CHRISTmas. :)

Anonymous said...

I am in the same boat as you. My kids this year will only get the gifts that other family members purchase for them. I also looked at the tree the other day and was reminded of how rich we all are. We have a roof over our heads, we have plenty of food and we are all heathy. As far as the toys and material things in life I think people put to much stock in these things. Its this time of year that we need to remember why we celebrate CHRISTmas. Thanks for the blog and have a very Merry CHRISTmas with the family.

Anonymous said...

It sounds to me that you have already instilled the true meaning of Christmas in your children. I think it is a great thing to be able to balance the true meaning of the season along with the magic of it all. Yes, part of that magic to children is Santa, but it doesn't matter "what" Santa brings. It is a feeling that comes with it. With the lights on the tree sparkling in their precious little eyes. The anticipation of something glorious. As long as your children know that all the magic of the season revolves around Christ, you have nothing to worry about!

Reese said...

This is the first year in a long time that our tree is empty. Me and the boyfriend managed to work something out where we could spend $30 on each other and get one gift to celebrate both our 6 year anniversary and Christmas.

I'm ok with it.

We've saved a little to give to other people, we're making any gifts that we can. And we ARE giving food for Christmas. Bread and dessert will be gifted out, as well as lots of hugs.

I wouldn't be so hasty as to blame the media. Now that I'm in it, I understand the power they have... but you have to realize that PEOPLE want it, so the media provides it. It's a business like any other.

I hope we all re-realize the meaning of Christmas... but please don't feel bad if others gift something to you.

The spirit of Christmas ISNT just about giving... it's about receiving too. Those who are able to, will give to those who can't. It's something that makes the season extra special to me and brings more people together.

Please accept help if others are willing to provide it. Wouldn't you do the same if you could?

Search the Daily Offensive!