Wednesday, March 4, 2009

♫ Life is like Duct Tape on a Trampoline

Once upon a time there was a girl. A girl that lived in a lot of houses across paradise, taking in new siblings, new surroundings, new schools, new friends, new foster siblings, new experiences. Steps of life. A past with no regrets. It’s fun to look back sometimes at some of the trials and think "man, if I made it through that, this is nothing!".

I read this blog the other day that said "people don’t want to hear about you. If you want to be successful, don’t talk about yourself." Well Im sorry readers, but lately, I’ve had bloggers-block, and this is what you get. Take it or leave it.

Things I remember as tribulations, that I actually survived:

#1. Special Olympics. Ok, don’t get me wrong, I LOVED those kids. I say kids, and I shouldn’t. Most of them were older than me. Helping autistic, paralyzed, or somehow handicapped people by teaching them to dance (if you’ve never danced with a handsome guy in a wheelchair, do it. Once the awkward wears off, it’s a life experience you’ll never forget), teaching them to bowl, and teaching them to ski. I learned more life lessons from them, probably than from anyone. Things like, no matter how hard life gets, someone else always has it harder. Things like, no matter where you go in life, friendships built are forever, but only stay as strong as you make them. My heart warms every time I think of them. I miss them. I miss the challenges they provided, the frustrations, and the laughs. You can learn a lot from somebody, especially those you assume know less.

#2. Foster Siblings. Ugh. When I lived in the most beautiful town in Wyoming, my parents decided it’d be a fun adventure to start taking in foster kids. You know, a temporary home for "troubled kids". Lordy. I wont mention names, but in a 1200 ft square house with an already family of five, adding one to two more people my age (you know, the grumpy early teen, early hormone stage of life) to the house, is torture for everyone involved. As in...my bed got lit on fire. We got in physical fights. Screaming competitions. One of them got arrested. One of them had the gall to get in my cop daddy’s face, etc. It wasn’t an all bad experience. I still have three foster sisters that I talk to regularly and miss sorely. Lesson learned? EVALUATE the people that sleep have an opportunity to sleep in your bed CAREFULLY! Seriously. Life lesson right there. That, and no matter how bad people seem, they could potentially turn out pretty dang cool. To quote one of my favorite people "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while."

#3. Getting duct taped to my sister. Not even kidding. My mom thought it was the most creative, excellent, punishment ever. Back off folks, she wasn’t cruel and unusual about it. But it was torture. If the sisters were fighting, they got taped. Until we agreed to touch noses and get along. Creative? Yes. Excellent? No. Quite disturbing. At least I thought so. But everyone I tell that to, says they’re stealing the idea and using it on their kids. I blame my unusually large personal bubble on the duct tape. Especially, the duct tape and trampoline. In the summer. With shorts on. Life Lesson? Put the stubbornness aside and touch noses already. Amazing how that lesson right there can work absolute miracles in today’s day and age, relationship wise. Touch your beloved on the nose next time she’s screaming at you. She’ll love you for it.

#4. Chased by a grizzly bear. Also not kidding. Hunting with my daddy for the first time, the most amazing trip. The scenery unbeatable, the company unstoppable, the conversations heart melting, the smells enchanting, and of course the hunt, adrenaline-inducing. There is something luring about the smell of a bloody elk though, that brings the most feared animal by this mostly tough chick a running. And we were stalked. Ferociously. Thank God for big guns, tough men, and fast horses. Life lesson? Keep God, big guns, tough men, and fast horses, with you, everywhere you go. Or at least readily available.

A glimpse really, in to my horrible childhood. Ha. Of course Im kidding. I rarely had it rough, and Im glad for the times it was. It showed me that I’ll live through things that seem life threatening at the moment, only to go on, write about it, make people laugh about it, and come out a stronger person.

Love,
Nomz

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, as your sister I find this one of your best... but probably becaue I can only picutre almost every single one of these with you and remember all of them too. Especially the duct tape.......
Hey, you never know, when yours are getting on yoru nerves at least they are close to the same height and it wouldnt be quite so painful for them and you might do the same. Make them do DISHES duct taped together! ;)

Anonymous said...

I will never get over the duct tape.

ROFL, LMAO, LOL and all those other short cuts to letting you know how much it entertains me :)

Fuzzy said...

Ugh... My parents decided to take in Foster kids too. Used kids are like used cars:

1) They typically have a history of wear and tear that make them unstable and unsafe.

2) The organization that wants you to take them off the lot, will do anything to mask, hide, or downplay all the potential issues.

3) They're worth far more if you sell them as parts.

I don't think that my experience was as bad as yours, but it was tough on my parents.

The best thing about the whole experience was that it made me appreciate my sister A LOT more. I think the whole mess is what made us close.

Anonymous said...

Quote from Hope Floats:
Childhood is what you spend the rest of your life trying to overcome.... beginnings are scary, endings are usually sad, but it's the middle that counts the most. Try to remember that when you find yourself at a new beginning. Just give hope a chance to float up. And it will...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, you forgot to meantion that the duct tape trick always ended in a giggling match! It must not have been THAT bad.

Anonymous said...

You liked the three legged race when you were little, why wouldnt you like having one arm and one leg duct tapted together while given the job of making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Those were some of the best sandwiches I ever ate!

Anonymous said...

Haha...the used car analogy is awesome. ;) Thanks for reading!

As for you two anonymous folks from my past...I have a feeling being an onlooker was slightly more enjoyable. ;)

Nomz

Search the Daily Offensive!